20 displaced in apartment fire in Cedar Rapids

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Twenty people have been forced from their homes after a fire at a Cedar Rapids apartment complex.

The city’s fire department says a first-floor tenant reported a fire in her bathroom just before 2 a.m. Sunday. Firefighters arrived to find ruptured water pipes and flames in the ceiling above the tenant’s apartment.

Fire officials say there was fire damage to that apartment, water damage to three others and smoke damage throughout the 15-unit complex.

No injuries were reported.

Utilities to the building have been shut off.

The fire department says the fire was caused by a candle left in the medicine cabinet of the bathroom.