Carbon monoxide suspected in apartment resident’s death

Authorities say a man has been found dead in a central Iowa apartment building that had high levels of carbon monoxide.

Firefighters evacuated the Meadowbrook Apartments in Newton on Monday after several high readings were recorded. The man’s body was found in the apartment with the highest level of carbon monoxide. Newton Fire Chief Jarrod Wellik says the cause of the man’s death will be determined by an autopsy.

Welliks says no one else was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. The cause of the gas buildup was unclear.

The man’s name hasn’t been released.