Carroll says Seahawks not closing door on Kaepernick
The Seattle Seahawks have not yet dismissed the possibility of signing Colin Kaepernick, head coach Pete Carroll said Monday.
Speaking to the media during a pre-draft news conference, Carroll said whether or not the team moves ahead with adding the controversial free agent quarterback to their roster may depend on the this week’s NFL draft.
“We’re still battling on all fronts, on all guys,” Carroll said, according to a report from The Associated Press. “We’re still looking at guys and evaluating. There are still free agents we’re looking at and in that the process just continues.”
The Seahawks reportedly pulled out of a planned workout with Kaepernick earlier this month because his representatives couldn’t provide the quarterback’s long-term plan for non-football commitments.
However, the Seattle Time and other media outlets reported that the Seahawks also specifically questioned Kaepernick’s national anthem intentions.
On Monday, Carroll said that reports over the potential workout were “blown up.”
Seattle has been one of the only teams to show interest in Kaepernick, who has remained unsigned since opting out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers at the end of the 2016 season.
The Seahawks are currently thin at the quarterback position behind starter Russell Wilson, who was drafted in 2012 with the last pick they spent on a quarterback.
The team cut backup Trevone Boykin in March after he was arrested in Texas on domestic violence charges. Seattle has signed backups Stephen Morris and Austin Davis since the intended Kaepernick workout, but could still be looking for better depth.