Faulty wiring blamed in deadly fire in Jefferson

JEFFERSON, Iowa (AP) — Fire investigators say faulty electrical wiring caused a deadly house fire in Jefferson.

KCCI-TV in Des Moines reported Friday that the state fire marshal’s office says the faulty wiring was in a crawl space.

Eighteen-year-old Cody Garreans-Walsh died in the fire that broke out early on December 6th. His 14-year-old brother was injured. They were on the second floor of the house where the fire started.

The boys’ mother, Sandy Garreans, said she heard a boom and smelled smoke before seeing flames down the hall.