Gov. Tim Walz authorizes disaster funding to southern Minnesota counties
ST. PAUL, Minn. (WKBT) — Minnesota Governor Tim Walz has authorized funding to help southern Minnesota counties recover from severe storm damage.
A damage assessment by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management showed that storm damage this past summer warrants the use of the state disaster funds.
“This has been a tough year for many Minnesotans who are working to rebuild and recover after significant storm damage,” said Governor Walz. “Our neighbors in Southern Minnesota were hit particularly hard by a series of severe storms that crushed public infrastructure and slowed local economies. That’s why we’re authorizing funds from our state’s disaster assistance account to offset the burden for Minnesotans while they work to make their communities whole again.”
The state will cover 75% of the eligible costs from the Disaster Assistance Contingency Account, with local governments covering the remaining 25%.
Houston and Winona counties will both be receiving disaster assistance.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
COPYRIGHT 2023 BY NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.