Heating season bring safety reminders from La Crosse Fire Department

Attempts to stay warm in our upcoming cold weather comes with some safety reminders.

The La Crosse fire department says people should be careful when using heating appliances.

Fire places, propane and heating oil can create carbon monoxide.

The colorless and odorless gas is deadly and can be avoided.

“One of the things we like to remind people as we get into these colder months and they start turning on their heaters and everything for the first time is to get them serviced by a qualified technician,” said Lieutenant Cory Wespfahl of the La Crosse Fire Department.

From 2010 to 2015, the Centers for Disease Control reports that unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning resulted in more than 2,200 deaths in the U.S.

Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.