Historic downtown La Crosse building may come down by year’s end
The former 'Club Tucan' building opened in 1886 as a family-run meat market
LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) – A historic downtown La Crosse building could be gone by the end of the year.
The owner of the former “Club Tucan” building on Third Street was issued a demolition permit, giving six months to take the building down.
If it is not done by the deadline, the city will do it.
The owner will then have to pay for the demolition.
In March, the building was condemned.
The building was built in 1886.
It was family-run meat market when it opened.
La Crosse’s Heritage Preservation commission calls the building one of the city’s 10 most endangered historic places.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY NEWS 8 NOW/NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.