The disappearance of Sydney Loofe: ‘A courtroom outburst’ | Late Edition: Crime Beat Chronicles podcast
Late Edition: Crime Beat Chronicles is a show that shares true crime stories through readings of newspaper articles and interviews with the journalists who reported on the stories.
What you’re about to hear is the fourth episode of a five-part series. Scroll down to listen to the other episodes in this series if you are new to the program.
For this set of episodes we’ll be traveling to Wilber, Nebraska, where, in November of 2017, 24-year-old Sydney Loofe left work to go on a second date with someone she met on a dating app, and she never came home.
The events that followed centered around Aubrey Trail and Bailey Boswell, who were eventually convicted in the case, and were bizarre in the way they unfolded on social media and in the courtroom.
The Lincoln Journal Star and Omaha World-Herald covered the story as it broke and navigated the circus-like atmosphere that developed in the courtroom and in conversations with Aubrey Trail.
The articles, which you’ll hear read by Matt McGrath and are linked below in full, have been lightly edited to avoid redundancies, are linked below and if you appreciate what we’re doing with this program, we encourage you to invest in local journalism and support whichever newspaper serves your community.
- Sydney Loofe’s death: Sexual fantasy gone wrong or planned murder? (Jun 18, 2019)
- Sydney Loofe’s mother and friends testify about their growing worry after Tinder date (Jun 20, 2019)
- Landlords: Smell of bleach from Trail’s downstairs apartment ‘consumed’ the house (Jun 21, 2019)
- Trail taken by ambulance after courtroom outburst; jury asked to come back Tuesday (Jun 24, 2019)
- Law officers detail the search for Loofe’s body as trial continues without Trail (Jun 25, 2019)
- Jurors see grisly photos of Loofe’s body; Trail still absent (Jun 26, 2019)
- Trail, Boswell tossed Loofe’s possessions out of car window, investigators say (Jun 27, 2019)
- Jury sees interrogation video where Trail talks of ‘dark side,’ draining Loofe’s body of blood (Jun 28, 2019)
- Woman testifies Trail invited her to be one of his witches and asked her to ‘kill someone’ (Jul 1, 2019)
Late Edition: Crime Beat Chronicles, a product of Lee Enterprises, is produced, recorded, edited and hosted by Chris Lay with articles read and recorded by Matt McGrath.