La Crosse man sentenced to prison for dealing meth

La Crosse police arrest repeat drug offender
Kong Vang and Pader Yang

MADISON, Wis. (WKBT) — A La Crosse man was sentenced Thursday in federal court to 12 years in prison for dealing methamphetamine.

Kong Vang, 31, was also sentenced for four years on supervised release by U.S. District Judge William M. Conley. He pled guilty in February to conspiracy to distribute 50 grams or more of methamphetamine and possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.

The charges stem from an incident in July 2020. Investigators received a complaint that Vang and his girlfriend, Pader Yang, were selling meth out of their La Crosse home. They searched the residence and found four loaded handguns, eight bags of meth and $12,000 in the bedroom shared by Vang and Yang.

Officers found a fifth loaded firearm elsewhere in the bedroom, and additional drugs, paraphernalia, and ammunition throughout the residence, the garage, and in a vehicle recently driven by Yang. In total, officers found approximately 254 grams of “ice” methamphetamine, and over 250 grams of marijuana.

Vang, who was on supervision for prior drug convictions, admitted to using and selling meth and also told police that he was a convicted felon and knew he was not allowed to possess firearms.

Vang’s state supervision was revoked and Conley ordered this federal sentence to run concurrently with the state prison sentences Vang is now serving following revocation. In imposing the sentence, Conley referenced Vang’s prior criminal record which included convictions of violence, drug trafficking, and gun possession.

Yang pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute 50 grams or more of methamphetamine Feb. 18.  She is scheduled for sentencing before Conley on May 11, 2021.

The charges against Vang and Yang were the result of an investigation conducted by the La Crosse Police Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The prosecution of the case is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven P. Anderson.