Liverpool marks 30 years since Hillsborough disaster
Liverpool fell silent Monday to mark the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough stadium disaster — where 96 fans lost their lives.
The city came to a standstill at 3.06pm — the exact time that the tragic incident occurred during the FA Cup semifinal between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in 1989.
A banner featuring photographs of the 96 fans who died in Sheffield has also been hung outside St. George’s Hall, Liverpool, along with the message ‘Never Forgotten’ and a lantern for each of the fans has been lit on the steps of the building.
READ: Hillsborough: Jury fails to reach verdict in David Duckenfield trial
A memorial service was held at the city’s cathedral and flags across Liverpool were flown at half-mast. The bells of the Town Hall also tolled 96 times to remember those lost in the tragedy.
Liverpool’s football stadium, Anfield, did not be host a public memorial service this year due to ongoing proceedings relating to a possible retrial. However, the Kop — Anfield’s iconic stand — was open to fans between 1-4pm GMT, offering a chance for reflection.
READ: Mohamed Salah wonder goal sees Liverpool sink Chelsea
Earlier this month, a jury was unable to reach a verdict on charges of gross negligence manslaughter against the police officer in charge of public safety that day.
The UK’s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has told CNN that it will now seek a retrial in front of a new jury. However, the CPS said it understood the defense team would seek to stay proceedings.
The club paid tribute to those who lost their lives during a minute’s silence ahead of its English Premier League tie against Chelsea on Sunday and on Monday manager Jurgen Klopp and captain Jordan Henderson laid a wreath at the Anfield memorial as the first team, the under 23s and Liverpool Ladies all paid their respects outside the stadium.