Major carbon monoxide leak found in New London
NEW LONDON, Wis. (AP) — Authorities say nearly a dozen people were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak was found in an apartment building in New London.
The New London Fire Department says firefighters were called to the scene about 6 a.m. Sunday. They evacuated the entire building and five ambulances transported victims to area hospitals.
Firefighters believe a broken exhaust pipe on a hot water heater in the basement was probably the cause of the leak.
Firefighters report they found carbon monoxide levels as high as 615 parts per million inside one of the apartments. They say that’s high enough to cause death within two to three hours.