Man burned in fire at northwest Iowa hog operation

A man has been burned while working at a hog confinement in northwest Iowa.

Firefighters were sent a little after 5 p.m. Monday to the hog operation, which sits about 5 miles (8 kilometers) northwest of Le Mars. Officials say two people had been inside a building, using a power washer to clean it. One left the building to refuel the power washer engine, and he spilled gas on himself and the machine. Fire officials say the vapors ignited, burning the man.

Le Mars Fire Chief Dave Schipper says the man was initially taken by private vehicle to Floyd Valley Healthcare in Le Mars. He then was flown to a burn center in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The man’s name hasn’t been released.

Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.