UW Health warns parents of dangerous toys
MADISON, Wis. (WKBT)- UW Health doctors want to warn parents about an increase in emergency department visits for kids involving two types of toys.
Reports show that 10% of cases involving foreign objects followed or found in the ear or nose involve two products, Orbreeze, and Bucky Balls.
Orbreezes are little beads that swell in water and Bucky Balls are little magnetic balls.
UW Health doctors want to make sure children don’t have to end up in the emergency room.
“If one of these objects are placed in the nose or in the ear it can make it really difficult to remove. And especially in the nose, or if swallowed can raise the risk to get in the airway of the child which would require them to go into the operating room to get it removed,” said Director of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Nicholas Kuehnel.
UW Health also says that it’s good for parents to remind the children that toys should not be in the ears, nose, on their tongue, or swallowed.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY NEWS 8 NOW/NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.