Wisconsin pumping $8 million into state’s EMS providers
The ARPA funds were dispersed to communities receiving FAP grants annually
MADISON (WKBT) — Wisconsin will give $8 million to to support EMS providers across the state.
Gov. Tony Evers along with the Wisconsin DHS secretary-designee Karen Timberlake announced the supplemental funding Tuesday on a three-city tour of Peshtigo, Wausau and Westby.
“Our first responders play an absolutely vital role in the safety and security of our communities, and no matter what the emergency or where we live, we count on EMS providers to be there for us when we need them most,” said Gov. Evers. “But for too long, EMS providers and our local partners have been doing more with less, having to make tough decisions and even reduce or cut services that keep our communities safe. These folks know their communities best, so we’re getting them the resources with the flexibility to decide what they need to best serve their communities, keep Wisconsinites safe, and do their important work.”
The money comes from Wisconsin’s portion of American Rescue Plan Act dollars and goes to communities who receive annual Funding assistance Program grants. FAP grants are available to all public ambulance service providers, including volunteer fire departments, nonprofits, and county and municipality services, and can be used for things such as new emergency service vehicles, safety upgrades to existing vehicles, durable diagnostic medical equipment, immobilization equipment, patient transport equipment, and more.
Each awardee received $24,390 in addition to their regularly allocated grant.
The following area EMS providers received an additional grant:
- Camp Douglas Fire And Rescue
- Lafarge Area Emergency Medical Service
- Mauston Area Ambulance Association Inc.
- Mayo Clinic Ambulance (Eau Claire)
- Mondovi Ambulance Service
- North Crawford Rescue Squad Inc. (Soldiers Grove)
- Pepin Emergency Ambulance Service
- Tri State Regional Ambulance, Inc. (La Crosse)
- Tri County Ambulance Service (Whitehall)
- Tomah Area Ambulance Service
- Sparta Area Ambulance Service Ltd
- Wonewoc Area Fire & Ambulance Association
- Wilton (Village Of) Ambulance Service
A full list of awardees can be found here.
Recent News Headlines from News 8 Now