YMCA plans new locker rooms at Dahl, warm water pool at Houser
Organization seeks donations to raise final $400,000LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) – The La Crosse Area Family YMCA unveiled plans for renovating the 50-year-old locker rooms in the Dahl Family YMCA in La Crosse and installing a warm water pool in the R.W. Houser Family YMCA in Onalaska.
Y members and businesses have contributed much of the funding for the projects, but a $400,000 gap remains, YMCA CEO Bill Soper said in a letter to YMCA members Thursday in which he asked them to consider a gift to the campaign.
“The way in which people use the Y today — including young families, seniors who might need assistance, children and adults with physical challenges, and members simply wishing for additional privacy — has changed greatly since our locker rooms were originally designed 50 years ago,” Soper said.
Plans for the new Dahl locker rooms include:
- A family locker room with 13 private changing and shower rooms designed for young children and their parents or caregivers, seniors, members who want more privacy and members need better access.
- A female locker room including private showers with drying areas, new lockers, improved accessibility and twice as many restrooms as now.
- Male locker room that will include private showers, private changing and shower rooms, new lockers and better accessibility.
- New plumbing, fixtures, air-handling equipment, lighting and other amenities to improve efficiency and comfort.
- A new co-ed steam room and sauna directly off of the pool deck.
- Bathrooms that are accessible from the pool deck.
At the Houser Y, which opened in 2006 and was expanded in 2016, the new warm water pool is intended to meet needs of senior members, young members and other members who simply want a warmer water experience. The facility also will get a co-ed steam room and sauna off of the existing pool deck.
Members and others who would like to contribute can go to the YMCA’s website. For more information, call Soper at (608) 7825944.
Following are links to locker rooms at Dahl: